Tuesday, February 24, 2009

The end of February

I was scanning through my list of regularly checked blogs and mentally berating those who haven't posted since December 10th (...mmm...cesar) when I realized -- Sweet Sassy! -- I haven't posted since November! Hello, pot? It's me, the kettle. You're black. So I shall take a few of the minutes I have this afternoon (as I have skipped the Y and am realizing how much time I would have if I simply didn't work out) and update the blog!

2009 so far is one consistently moving river of mostly goodness. Christmas was fabi (how could it not be with a hat like this one?), New Years vomitous (I had the stomach flu on December 31, so no ringing in the new year for me), and I had a date on Valentine's Day. (Now now now, everybody, don't get too excited -- it didn't go well as he spent most of the time talking, hardly asked me anything, and had a bull-esque nose ring... I don't mind body piercings in general, but when you're pushing 40, take them out.)

I still love my job, though I am in the part of the year when I always say to myself, "I gotta be more strict in September." But every September comes and I'm still a jolly lass and I create another set of classroom climates that are wonderfully affirming and delightful but sometimes less than academically productive. What do I teach these high school yahoos anyway? Well, by now they should know that some adult loves them, even if that adult is their somewhat random English teacher. We are finishing up the 2nd trimester, which means Romeo & Juliet for freshmen and Mark Twain for juniors. I'm looking forward to next year, when I will have some more experience with the American Lit curriculum. I've gone through it all chronologically this year and may try thematic units next year. Hmmmmm..... who knows? Not me. One season at a time -- I can barely think past Finals in two weeks.

Franklin Hill Foursquare Church continues to move forward. (The picture below if of our "Revivify" skit that Lisa Jean wrote. It was SO HILARIOUS!!! My character -- Lola Tina Nataturlova -- loved the Revivify Yogurt, even though it had some negative side effects. We had fart noises and everything!) Our middle school ministry team has both shifted and grown -- shifted in that Tracy (the guy who was originally hired to be the youth dude) has been transitioned into other areas leaving me in charge of middle school club (GULP!). But we've grown too, as two of my high school kids help out every week and my friend Jeanne has started helping too. I also volunteer at high school club on Wednesday nights, and thankfully Cesar runs that bad boy. I just show up, give kids rides, and run an activity or two. We had twelve kids last week after a month of averaging six. It is a faith-building/testing thing to be sure because I can get very caught up or distracted or discouraged throughout the whole process. I don't really like being in charge as I don't remember details, am not great at delegating, and am constantly afraid that I am going to screw up the whole operation to high heaven. But I'm dealing with it. I'm still on the teaching team, though my times "on the mound" only come up once every twelve weeks. I really enjoy serving in that way, though I do have to remind myself that I enjoy it. :-) My last topic: Is Jesus the Only Way? Yeah -- cover that in 30 minutes.

Hmmmm..... what else.... oh! Spring means Boomerang travel, though this year it is decidedly less than every year past. I'm only working two conferences this year; the least I've ever done before is four. It is quite bittersweet. I had a great time in California at coaches weekend. How I LOVE my Boom Boom peeps. The WA conference was small and wonderful, but it was hard for me to be away. I missed my students, my club kids, and the stability of my regular life. However, I also miss seeing lots of the coaches throughout the spring, but I am glad I am not getting on lots of planes anymore. The allure of solo travel was driven from me during the Year of Nine Conferences. :-)

Travel with others, though, is very much on the horizon. Joe and I are planning a trip back to Indiana over spring break. I am stoked! We'll get to see Lyndsey in a musical and I plan on visiting tons with Yemi and Becca and Jeremy and Mindie and my family and the Michigan/Illinois Boom Boom peeps. Oh good times! And it really is almost upon us. I planned out the weeks between then and now for my advisory kids and was amazed at how little time is left.

I could go on and on about the other details of my life: the joy of getting invited to wrestling matches by my students, the utter contentment of Erin Lindsay falling asleep in my arms, the challenge of maintaining a faith-filled, faithful heart-attitude about the size of my hiney and my perpetual singleness. But it is 5:30... I gotta go pick up some kids and hang out with some middle schoolers.

with love and joy and the promise of spring -- marah jean

3 comments:

  1. Hey diddle, diddle for updates!! Well, my friend, there doesn't ever seem to be a dull moment with you! What a fun job you have as a teacher, deciding what those kiddos will learn...wish I could've seen revivify--I can only imagine. lol....Its funny, I didn't know you didn't like being in charge, since you are a natural leader....wish I could be one of the peeps you visit in Indiana, but sounds like a rendezvous in Oregon might be a possibility!...and being an auntie--*sigh*--its the best, isn't it? My sister is expecting her fourth this summer! Oh heck, I should just send you an email, but yes, let's read Yancy's book together. Sounds great...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really, best boom boom pic? When I am checking in on the phone? Well, I like the ones of you on the bridge! Anyhoo, you're awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I officially have a more recently updated blog :p

    (and, for me, 'peeps' is the grammatical equivalent of the aforementioned nose-ring...haha!)

    And, for what it's worth, the Dominguez family is missing you - how will the kiddos escape alien mind control without auntie Marah?!

    ReplyDelete