Wednesday, August 26, 2009

143D... aka Marah vs The Wall-of-Nothing

In less than one week, I will start my second year at Davis High School. I am really looking forward to a great year; I'm uber stoked to no longer be the new girl, to have another shot at the American Literature curriculum, and to get Young Life going again. However, there is one pill in the jam: my classroom walls are depressing.... off-white, but dirty off-white, paint chunks missing, dirty smudges that won't wash off. Last year I made due by focusing my creative energies on the one bulletin board in the room. I ignored the 15-foot wall of nothing, that wall's extension onto the front wall, the empty brick wall in the back. My plan for this year was to paint the room, but I discovered that doing so would create a union mess for my administrators.

So I sat with the space for a while and came up with a plan. A huge Ikea picture of Paris on the back brick wall was Phase One. Phase Two consisted of buying three 12"x36" posters that I matted on deep red tagboard: Paris, London, and Venice. And as lovely as these were, I still had the problem of the 15-foot wall of nothing, which seemed worse when juxtaposed with the now lovely front and back walls.

And then, inspiration struck! I fashioned a bulletin board out of cardboard, craft supplies, and butcher paper in the middle of the wall-of-nothing for Davis information and plan to hang four different posters around the board. I bought the first two yesterday. The first I chose for the picture, but the saying is decent too: "The block of granite which was an obstacle on the path of the weak, becomes a stepping stone in the path of the strong." The Action poster says, "It only takes a single thought to move the world." Excellent sentiments. Very "Hey, let's make the most of the one and only life each of us has been given."

And while these two posters do line up with my "Yes, And", "Go Big", "Total Support" life philosophy, I couldn't quite make myself buy much more inspiration and motivation. Instead, for the students who pay attention (and, let's be honest, for the days when I need a laugh), I have purchased these:

Wishes: When you wish upon a falling star, your dreams can come true. Unless it's really a meteorite hurtling to the Earth which will destroy all life. Then you're pretty much hosed no matter what you wish for. Unless it's death by meteor.
Priorities: Hundreds of years from now, it will not matter what my bank account was, the sort of house I lived in, or the kind of car I drove... But the world may be different because I did something so bafflingly crazy that my ruins become a tourist attraction.

Bring on the new school year.

No comments:

Post a Comment