Saturday, August 15, 2009

Taken

Spoiler Alert: If you haven't seen the movie Taken starring Liam Neeson and you intend to do so, you may want to watch it first before reading this. But if you've already seen it or have no intention of doing so, read on!

Last night, I hosted a pizza and movie night with some of my Young Life gals. Three of the four of them went to camp together, and this is the first time it has actually worked out for us to get together again. We baked pizza and cookies and laughed a ton, and then settled down to watch the movie. They had all seen it before, but it was my first time. It is suspenseful, but not scary.

The basic premise is Liam Neeson's character has given up his life as an international security spy type person to attempt to rebuild a relationship with his 17-year-old daughter, Kim. She wants to go to Paris with a friend for a few weeks and, after setting some guidelines, he gives his permission. Right before she leaves, though, he discovers that she hasn't told the whole truth; she and her pal intend to spend their time, not at the Louvre, but following U2 on their European tour. As soon as they land in Paris, they are marked by a prostitution trafficking ring and, while the daughter is on the phone with her father, men arrive at the Paris flat and abduct them.

The rest of the story follows Neeson's efforts to reclaim his daughter. He stops at nothing to track down Kim, ends up discovering the ring is deeply woven into the Parisian government, and after overcoming a myriad of obstacles, he finds her and saves her. The scene that just stopped me was, fittingly, the climax of the story. With the last villain shot in the head, Kim leans into her father and says, "You came for me. You came for me," to which Neeson replies, "I told you I would."

Now I know that there is a time to speak and a time to be still, and quite honestly I didn't really think about which kind of moment was happening in the room. I just said, "Holy crap! That is such a picture of what Jesus does for us. We get in situations -- sometimes by our own choices and sometimes because of things we could not see coming -- situations that are death to us. And Jesus just BUSTS through EVERYTHING to get us back. He said he would come for us and he does! DANG!!!"

Who knows what the girls were thinking, but I know what a timely reminder this is for me. There are places in my life that I didn't expect to be, areas of brokenness that haven't been healed, areas of longing that haven't been fulfilled. Jesus never said I would never royally blow it, but He did say that he came to heal the brokenhearted and to set captives free. He has not promised to give me everything I want, buy He has promised to provide all my needs according to his riches and glory. So I am not doomed to stay in my pit of dysfunction and death. Nor do I need to fret, worry, freak out, stress, or grab grab grab at what I think is best for me. Instead, I can be honest about where I am, confess my sin if my own choices got me here, and ask for Him to come get me; I can look at His abundant provision for my present-tense life and trust Him for the future. Amazing. Really.

Father, may I have the courage to follow as You lead me home.

No comments:

Post a Comment