Wednesday, November 11, 2009

When you give Marah a cookie...

She'll probably eat more than one. And if she has skipped dinner, she'll definitely eat more than two....three....four.... is there any milk in the fridge? NO? Okay, then.... let's leave it at four. That's what happened tonight, and that's why I'm still awake at 9:57. I am, indeed, that sensitive to the enlivening effects of chocolate. And so, since I'm up, I'm gonna throw a few reflections on today out into the cosmic void.

My first thought is, freakin' A, I love my life. Even though I was sick the past four days and in the throws of some serious snotty nastiness, I am so aware of how much I love where I am and whom I'm with and what I'm doing. This morning I had coffee with Debbie Paganelli (she's Pagariffic!), and it is so beautiful to walk with her through life. She is so full of pizazz and humor and love. Just fill my heart right up she does! Then I had coffee with Richie Perez, whom I've known for 15 years. We were GREAT friends in high school, and now he's working at Davis, and he loves kids, loves Jesus, and is considering being a Young Life Leader with me and Susie. I really hope that works out, but even if it doesn't, it is so great to have people like him around.

Then I got to chat with Kjell, a fellow English teacher and Boomerang Coach whom I've known for seven years. She's nationally certified, so we got to chat about tons of great ideas as I start on the National Board Certification process. While I am still a bit bewildered by the whole thing at times, I'm excited to be so purposeful in reflecting on my teaching and potentially to be rewarded quite well for that time and reflection. Can we say 2012 trip to Europe?

Then I worked out. I am so grateful to be in a healthy space with my body image and food issues. By the grace of God and the accountability of a great friend, I'm making better choices and have a healthier perspective on food and activity than I've had in a long while.

And then I putzed about the house while The Return of the King played in the background. I haven't watched that movie in a while, but I'm glad I did today. So many resonating themes. There are battles that need fighting. Robed in glorious white, I'm standing right where God has placed me, defending the harvest from the coordinated attack of the enemy. I am no man. Nor need I be. Kazah!

And then Helen came over. She's a new Young Life kid this year, and I think she's my little sister from another mister. We made banana bread and chocolate chip cookies and watched Up. Such a sweet film, and such a sweet girl. Then the Young Lifers arrived. We were small in number this week (I'm blaming it on not having school today) but there was still LOTS of laughter. I don't know where this whole Young Life thing is going, but I know this is a good thing for this season. I've been asked to go on Summer Assignment in July, which means that more than a month of my summer will be spent at Washington Family Ranch. I'm not sure how I'll cope without seeing my little people for that amount of time, but I'm excited nonetheless.

And I'm really thankful for the passage of time and the healing that has come the past couple weeks. October was not easy. But I think I can say, with thanksgiving and hope in my heart, that my feet are back under me, which is interesting because I didn't realize at the time that they had been swept from me. What I sense more now is the traction in my life -- moving forward in what God has given me. And that, my friends, is so good.

love to you (because I'm assuming if you're reading this, you know me) -- marah jean

No comments:

Post a Comment