Wednesday, December 2, 2009

Vida Joven

I'm sitting in the hobbit house, and it kinda smells.... like Spam.... and it's my own fault....

Let me explain.

Wednesday night is Young Life night. Tonight's talk -- The Work of Christ. So what did we do to lead up to it? First, we played On The Mark. Everybody has a partner and the standing partner takes a straw, sucks up an M&M, and then tries to drop it in a cup.... that is being held by his partner.... who is laying on the ground... and has the cup in his mouth. My partner? Rick.... aka Coach Clark.... best known around school as the head football coach and our newest potential Young Life leader. The results are in, and I stink at that game.

And then we played Eat That Food -- which is like Name That Tune but with hidden food items. Some highlights were Jose and The JalepeƱo (2 bites... he didn't make it), Jackie and The Jelly Donut (2 bites... and she made it), and Andy and The Tomato -- one bite. One glorious, squishy, juicy bite from the kid that HATES tomatoes but did it so his team would score a point. So funny. (The house smells like Spam because of Justin and The Spam -- 3 bites... he didn't get 1/6 of the way done before he caved.... insert evil laugh here...)

And then, I got to talk about Jesus, and I mean really talk about Jesus. Not in the vague way that I sometimes do in class when the topics of purity or faith come up, but in the He-is-God's-Son-and-He-died-so-we-don't-have-to way. Just like On the Mark, we all try to live a good life the best way we know how, but more often than not, we miss the mark. And sometimes we make a choice (I can eat that food in e bites) that leads to us having to deal with more than we can handle (I have to eat WHAT?). Are the metaphors perfect? Not even close. But the Truth was here, and the seed of His Truth was scattered.

Man, what a privilege. What a night. I don't know how the talk landed with any of them, but I do know my God. He is standing at the door knocking. I'm contentedly blissful that He lets me be involved in letting these beautiful, powerful, glorious young people know Who it is that is asking to be introduced to them.

Random left-over spam smells.... a small price to pay.

No comments:

Post a Comment