Sunday, May 2, 2010

Never thought of it that way....

My cousin Nathaniel got married yesterday. Funny.... I remember when he was born. I remember calling him Bug (you know... like "Nat" but funnier). I remember him climbing up the stairs at my grandparents' house/antique store calling for my brother: "Bon COOOOOO la!" And now he's married.... like, with a wife and everything.

Facebook is an interesting thing. It opens windows into people's lives that would normally be closed not by volition but by time and distance. I was just thinking today of how many of my former students have gotten married in the last year or so, and the only reason I know this is because of Facebook. While I do not begrudge them their marital bliss, it stings a bit.

I was journaling this morning about this and the other "issues" in my life (i.e. being in Weight Watchers for a year and never once having a week when I actually stay within my allotted points. What the frosting?) and I felt like God said, "Marah, Marah. You are worried about many things, but only one thing is necessary."

So I stopped, and just sat with Jesus for a while. The ouchie of the "everybody else is getting married" thought surfaced and I had a very clear picture of me and Jesus standing beside a rollercoaster. Now, I stinking LOVE rollercoasters and would love the chance to go on some more great ones. But in that picture, all my newly married friends were on the rollercoaster and I was standing there watching them with Jesus. And He didn't say "it's not your turn" or anything like that. The feeling was more like, Marah, I'm not making you wait in some line of indeterminable length for this 'ride' that you want to go on but you haven't met the growth requirement. It isn't like that at all -- that's just the wrong metaphor. And when you allow yourself to think about marriage that way, it'll lead to jealousy and discontentment.

Holy Reframe, Batman. It's the oldest lie in the book -- God is holding out on you. Better get for yourself because you can't trust Him.

(Insert German accent here) LIES! ALL LIES!!!

Truth: I know the plans I have for you, declares the Lord. Plans to prosper you, and not to harm you. Plans to give you HOPE and a future.

Truth: My God shall supply all my needs according to His riches and glory.

Truth: No good thing will God withhold from those who do what is right...... oh, let's get the whole thing in here:

Psalm 84:10-12 (New Living Translation)

10 A single day in your courts
is better than a thousand anywhere else!
I would rather be a gatekeeper in the house of my God
than live the good life in the homes of the wicked.
11 For the Lord God is our sun and our shield.
He gives us grace and glory.
The Lord will withhold no good thing
from those who do what is right.
12 O Lord of Heaven’s Armies,
what joy for those who trust in you.

1 comment:

  1. I am so proud of you for your transparency, and that are waiting on Him to provide, not running ahead since He isn't "doing it" fast enough for our time tables. You are such an encouragement to me!

    ReplyDelete